Skip to main content

White Iron Chain Of Lakes Association

News & Updates Blog

MPCA Public Meetings on 2018 Draft Impaired Waters List

The MPCA will hold informational meetings on the draft 2018 impaired waters list, including the delistings and impairments proposed. Meetings will be held in regions where water has been assessed in the past two years and produced data that contributed to the 2018 list.

Meetings focused on the northeastern Minnesota region are scheduled for Thursday, November 9, 9:30 a.m.

  • Blandin Foundation, 100 North Pokegama Ave., Grand Rapids, MN 55744
  • Vermilion Community College – Fine Arts Building Room 105, 1900 E. Camp St. Ely, MN 55731
  • Oveson’s Pelican Lake Resort – Board Room, 4675 US Hwy 53, Orr, MN 55771
  • WebEx online meeting, Join by phone for audio: 1-844-302-0362
  • Meeting number (access code): 597 969 123, Meeting password: Peexuwj3

See the MPCA news release for additional information:



In all, the number of impaired Minnesota waters on the draft 2018 impaired waters list totals 5,101 impairments, with 618 new listings, covering a total of 2,669 water bodies across the state (many water bodies are impaired by several pollutants). Minnesota is detecting more waters in trouble because of its 10-year plan to study all 80 major watersheds in the state, funded by the Clean Water, Land and Legacy Amendment. The MPCA has started this study in all but a few watersheds.

While scientists find more impairments, the overall percentage of impaired waters in Minnesota remains at 40%. The other 60% are in good condition and need protective strategies to stay healthy.

Stay Informed

When you subscribe to the blog, we will send you an e-mail when there are new updates on the site so you wouldn't miss them.